Hamburg Pinblock?

Sambell, Ted Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA
Wed Aug 23 10:26 MDT 2000

Ric,

Perhaps the following tells more than one wants to know about bubinga:

Commercial names: African rosewood, Kevasingo ( when rotary cut).
Other names: Essingang (Camaroon) Kevazingo,Buvenga (Gabon)
General description: The wood is medium red-brown with lighter red to purple
veining. The grain is straight or interlocked. In some logs the grain is
very irregular, and these are converted  by peeling into rotary cut veneers
called kevasingo. The texture is moderately coarse but even. The weight
averages 55 lbs per cubic foot.

Mechanical properties: The timber has low steambending qualities and
exudation of gum pockets is troublesome.

Seasoning: Dries easily, except for gum exudation, with little degrade, and
is stable in service.

Working properties: The timber works easily with both hand or machine tools,
though gum pockets may cause difficulty. Interlocked and irregular grain
material tends to tear or pick up and a reduced cutting angle of 15 deg. is
necessary for planing or molding. There is a moderate to severe blunting
effect on cutting edges which must be kept sharp. Nailing requires
pre-boring; gluing may be difficult due to gum pockets, but the wood stains
easily and can be brought to an excellent finish.

Durability: It is moderately durable but liable to common furniture beetle
attack. The sapwood is permeable and the heartwood is resistant to
preservative treatment.

Uses:It is an excellent turnery wood, and used for knife handles, brush
backs, fancy goods. The chief use is for sliced decorative veneers for
cabinets and panelling, particularly the rotary cut kevasingo, with a wild,
swirling, veined figure.

My reference is "World Woods in Color" by William A. Lincoln, Linden
Publishing Co. Inc. Fresno,
CA.

Hope you are not sorry you asked!

Ted Sambell