false beats

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 25 23:18 MDT 2000

Hi Thomas,
                  I'm no Steinway expert , but I have serviced a few with
this treble problem.
The forward temination bars was very poorly dressed and pitted, once
polished and lubricated most of the junk noises cleaned up.  the treble
hammers were also over juiced.
Make sure the strings are seated to the bridge, and that you have no loss
bridge pins first.
Regards Roger

At 10:25 PM 25/08/00 -0600, you wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Many of the Steinway Ls I tune have false beats in one or two strings in the
>upper treble, but one that I tune regularly has horrendous false beats in
>about a third of the strings from C7 to C8.  What suggestions do others have
>to offer to improve this situation?
>
>Thomas Russell
>Iowa State University

Roger Jolly