John Cage Piece?

Greg Granoff gjg2@humboldt.edu
Thu Aug 31 09:54 MDT 2000

John Minor wrote:

> Anyone have the Cage piece, "Second Construction" performed on their
> pianos? We have a percussion faculty who will be doing it in December. Any
> negative repercussions on the piano?
>
> John Minor
> University of Illinois

John,
Eugene Novotny, the percussion instructor here, (and someone who he says you
should remember from his doctoral recitals there -- he was one of the people
who played the Bartok sonata w/ Ian Hobson) reminds me that the Cage 2nd
construction has been performed here twice.  No ill effects that I can recall.
(Must be why I didn't remember it!). Very easy setup as well.  Come to think
of it, the pianist who participated last time was more likely to damage the
piano just by the way he played, never mind special prep. :-)

Eugene says he remembers you running around like crazy trying to please the
pianists....

Greg Granoff