Friction/Buzz at Agraffes

Lawrence Becker lawrence.becker@uc.edu
Fri Mar 3 11:43 MST 2000

Ray, in reply to the part of your query dealing with rendering problems, I
have used Protek CLP with good success in most instances of excess friction
in the capo section.  I find that most of the friction comes from the area
where the strings ride up over the felt.  CLP makes it easier to tune, and
reduces string breakage while tuning, but I have to reapply about every
other tuning on problem pianos.
We do have a 1984 S&S D that, in the high tenor section (up to C#5), even
the CLP is insufficient help.  My boss says impact tuning helps stabilize
that section, even though it is still difficult.
I've wondered myself about pianos that always pop.  It seems I see them
more in spaces with wide humidity swings, for what that's worth.  Looking
forward to more postings on this topic.

Lawrence Becker, RPT
College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati