Friction/Buzz at Agraffes

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 3 15:37 MST 2000

I'v always suspected the need for re-stringing on these instruments. Seems
like the wire is fatigued from heavy use and has lost some elasticity.
Just a hunch.

John Minor
University of Illinois

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Ray Bentley wrote:

]Has anyone else found strings to buzz at the agraffe?  I have a piano that
]seems to.  I can usually stop the buzz by raising and lowering the pitch,
]thereby moving the string back and forth through the agraffe.  These strings
]also pop loose at the agraffe during tuning.  It doesn't seem to matter how
]long it has been since the previous tuning, they still pop during tuning.
]Has anyone tried clp or something else there with success.  Also there are a
]few pianos that don't render well.  That is, the friction at the capo bar is
]such that when you pull a string up, it continues to raise with firm blows,
]and vice versa.  Any cure for this?
]
]Thanks to all.
]