Friction/Buzz at Agraffes

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri Mar 3 18:23 MST 2000

>Has anyone else found strings to buzz at the agraffe?  I have a piano that
>seems to.  I can usually stop the buzz by raising and lowering the pitch,
>thereby moving the string back and forth through the agraffe.  These strings
>also pop loose at the agraffe during tuning.  It doesn't seem to matter how
>long it has been since the previous tuning, they still pop during tuning.
>Has anyone tried clp or something else there with success.  Also there are a
>few pianos that don't render well.  That is, the friction at the capo bar is
>such that when you pull a string up, it continues to raise with firm blows,
>and vice versa.  Any cure for this?
>
>Thanks to all.
>
>Ray T. Bentley, RPT
>Lewis and Clark Community College
>Godfrey, IL

The Baldwin SD-6 is infamous for this.  Ours had a lot of buzzing going on.
I could put my finger on the non-speaking length between the agraff and pin
and it would go away but then the string would sound really dead.  I
thought it was interesting but was never sure just why it did it.  I
restrung that old bird a few years ago and it doesn't do it now.  I had
thought it was a quirk with the scale but since restringing cured it I am
leaning more toward flat strings in the graff.

As for friction, my friend Sandy West has an interesting story about that.
I will forward this to her and see what she thinks.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429