Steinway vertical survey

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Fri Mar 3 19:38 MST 2000

Dear CAUT list:

I am posting this on both the pianotech and the CAUT lists;  there are CAUT
related questions which I particularly hope some of you might respond to.

I am presenting a PTG chapter program on the Steinway upright - history,
service, slide show, etc..... this Monday night at the Pomona Valley PTG
chapter (Southern California).   I am fond of the Steinway upright, having
grown up with a "cut-down" 1906 with the cast capo bar (it's languishing in
my shop right now....).  I have rebuilt (to one extent or another) at least a
dozen of these over the last 20 years, but some of you have rebuilt many,
many more.  Some of you service many in the institutional setting
(institutionalized?).  I wonder if there isn't a masochistic streak in anyone
like myself who likes these pianos.

I am interested in the knowledge and opinions of those of you who are willing
to respond to this informal survey.  I would use this information
anonymously, unless you specifically stated you did not mind being quoted.
You may email me privately if you wish, at Bdshull@aol.com.   The survey is
divided into the following parts:  3 quickie survey questions, 10 general
survey questions (and their subparts), 3 CAUT (college/univ) questions, 2
facts/design questions, and 1 open-ended question. Feel free to estimate how
many of these critters you have had significant shop encounters with.

3 QUICKIE SURVEY QUESTIONS:

What do you like most about the Steinway vertical?

What do you like least about the Steinway vertical?

What is your favorite vertical piano (any make, any period), and why?

GENERAL SURVEY QUESTIONS:

1.  On a vertical piano scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate the Steinway
vertical:

a.  Overall as a quality vertical piano:

b.  Ease of service:

c.  Re: durability:

d.  Rebuildability/results of rebuilding:

2.  What replacement parts do you like most (hammers, strings, etc.)

3. a.  Have you rescaled the strings on any Steinway verticals?
b.  Have you obtained significantly better results, and where in the scale
was the     improvement most noticed?

4.  Have you frequently found adequate bearing/crown for restringing,
  or have you had to rectify this situation?        What did you do?

5.  Have you had split tubular rails, and how did you handle this?

6.  Have you had problems with the treble termination/v-bar, and how have you
dealt with this?

7.  Do you have any special service tips you might share?  (Ex.:  Sostenuto
adj., tuning tips, preferred Damppchaser installation, action performance
tips, etc....)

8.  What is the most extensive rebuild you have performed on a Steinway
vertical?  Comments?

9.  Have you restored a cut-down to its original "glory"?    Would you care
to share how you did this?

10.  Have you duplicated the ornate etchings in the 19th century panels?  How?

CAUT (college, university tech) QUESTIONS:

9.  Would you rebuild a Steinway upright and keep it in service for many
decades (if so, how many restrings, rehammerings, parts replacements; how far
would you go in structural rebuilding;  how long would you keep the piano),
or change it out/trade it in for a new one in 10 or 20 years?

10.  Do you have newer Steinway 1098's and K52's in your care?
Based on your own experience, what service expectations should a college/univ
tech have if his/her school is considering the purchase of Steinway verticals?

11.  Are there problems with the newer verticals which you believe are
correctable, and if so, how?

FACTS/DESIGN:

12. MODEL ID:  Steinway has made many vertical models - Larry Fine lists E, F
and G and ancestors from 1862-1898;  I, N, K and V taller verticals from 1898
to the present, and P, 45, 40, 100 and F shorter verticals to the present.
Most 20th century pianos are well marked, but I have had difficulty
identifying the older ones.  How are these identified?  (Do you know of a
more complete vertical piano reference than Fine?)

12.  TILTED PLATE:  The oldest Steinway verticals have a plate/SB ass'y which
is tilted forward, apparently to aid in action repetition.  All modern, full
plate Steinways appear to have untilted plate/SB ass'ys.  Do you think the
tilted plate made a difference in action performance?  Did the modern
Steinway somehow incorporate a similar gravity assist in the untilted plate
design?

OPENENDED:

13.  What did I miss which you can tell me?  Comments?   Stories?  Personal
favorites (or...)?

Thanks for your responses - if you wish, I can tally this and post a
compilation on the lists (as time allows....)

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University, Riverside City College