Friction/Buzz at Agraffes

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Mar 6 14:11 MST 2000

Jeannie,
	I am skeptical that this is agraffe related, at least from my
experience. And four years and a 16 cent pitch raise are very minor in
the overall scheme of things. It's hard to diagnose based only on what
you have written, but I would try to have a completely open mind in
looking for sources.
	First, to hone in on whether or not it <is> the agraffe, press a
screwdriver blade forward (speaking length side) of the agraffe and play
the note. Press hard enough that the speaking length now starts at the
screwdriver blade. The pitch should be appropriately higher, as you have
shortened the effective length of the string. Does the sound persist?
Also try damping the waste length (other side of the agraffe), pressing
with finger, inserting rubber mutes, whatever. If both these tests
remove the buzz/jangle, the agraffe is the likely culprit. If not, happy
hunting!
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico