Hamburg S&S value

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue Mar 7 21:17 MST 2000

Jeff,

I guess it is in great shape?  Hasn't been played heavily?  I know your neck
of the woods is little different than Bay Area, California but a Hamburg B
would usually do better than a New York.  I think $29,000 is too low.  You
could get $35,000 here I believe...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Jeff
Stickney
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 6:08 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Hamburg S&S value

CAUT,
	Our music department just inherited a Hamburg Steinway B, and I have been
charged with appraising it.  My question is this:  Is there any inherent
added value because it is a Hamburg, or would it be valued like any other
"B" according to our market and the piano's condition?  The value of a
Hamburg B in "The Piano Book" Price Supplement is $58,000 (see the
Supplement for all the conditions attached to *that* price), not that much
more than for a New York Ebony B at $52,800.  The piano was built in '83,
so a 50% depreciation would put the piano at $29,000.  Thanks for your
input.
Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu