Hall/piano rental charges

Hans E. Sanders hesand01@louisville.edu
Thu Mar 9 16:31 MST 2000

That is my cup of tea. As a former administrator in Germany (city administration) it was our goal to be self sufficient. Whether car licensing, marriage, death or birth certificates, building permits or renting city hall. When I checked into the reasons for no charge at our University, I was told: "Historically we never charged for this." If the school has enough resources this might be alright, but within our tight budget at the majority of universities
I will try to push for a change in the future.
By the way, for the coming wedding reception of my oldest daughter at our University Club in Louisville, I asked to use their Baby Grand. There is a $50.00 useage charge. I proposed to tune it before the performance for an even trade. Their manager will make a decision.
A concert grand rental in this city goes for between $600.00 - $750.00. In discussions with my dean, we believe a reasonable charge for a tuned concert grand with the exception of faculty and student events should be between $100.00 to $200.00. That might help to answer the $50,000.00 question.

Hans Sander, RPT
University of Louisville
School of Music

>>> jminor@uiuc.edu 03/09/00 10:37AM >>>
What do other universities charge for recital hall rental to the general
public? How about tuning and piano usage? It seems to me that we are
giving piano usage away for next to nothing! If I had more info I may
attempt to get the administrators to look more closely at the issue.

John Minor
University of Illinois