Hall/piano rental charges

Ron Torrella rontorrella@worldspy.net
Mon Mar 13 14:48 MST 2000

John Minor wrote:

> What do other universities charge for recital hall rental to the general
> public? How about tuning and piano usage? It seems to me that we are
> giving piano usage away for next to nothing! If I had more info I may
> attempt to get the administrators to look more closely at the issue.

For events not sponsored by the School of Music, in major performance venues
that require a piano, we charge $250/event for rental of a 7', $300/event
for a 9'. Tuning isn't included, nor is tech support. Those services may be
contracted from a list of pre-approved techs. Stage instruments elsewhere
incur only tuning fees for non-SOM event use but only if the user
specifically requests a tuning (such as for recordings). All rental fees are
paid to the School of Music. Tuning fees are paid directly to the tech.
Other university departments wishing to use rental pianos fall into the same
category as "not sponsored by SOM" and are therefore liable to rental fees
and are paid through interdepartmental fund transfer. Tuning fees, likewise,
are between the user and the tech.

The pianos we charge rental fees on are specifically SOM property - they're
on the SOM inventory. Instruments that aren't on our inventory aren't our
business.
--
Ron Torrella, RPT
Ypsilanti, MI