"Temporary" voicing

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 11 12:24 MDT 2001

David,

I had a similar situation recently where I "warmed up" the tone of a
Hamburg Steinway D in a 1200 seat hall for Andr=E9 Watts in a solo
recital, and two weeks later needed it brought back up a notch or two
for Murray Perahia for use with a chamber orchestra in a 3000 seat
hall.

Take a small piece of music wire, perhaps 17 or 18 gauge, and dip it
in your favorite keytop solution.  Then quickly lay it across a
string groove in one of the hammers you want to "brighten".  Repeat
this process for each string groove.  Two or three applications may
be necessary.  This will give just a bit more edge, without any big
voicing consequences, since the hardener does not penetrate beyond
the surface of the felt, and without any change to the UC voicing.

When the piano is returned to its permanent home, you can lightly
file away the residue, or just give the hammers a light brush or two
with a suede brush and you are back in business.

This works like a charm with the hard compressed hammers one finds in
Asian and European instruments, because the basic foundation of firm
felt is already there, and it is only the surface that needs a boost.
It is also great for lazy technicians like me, who do not want to
have to do extensive voicing after juicing!

Good luck,

Charles

--
Charles Ball, RPT