Steinway brass logo

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu Apr 12 08:47 MDT 2001

Hi Fred,
I've tried to reglue letters into the recess, and now have 3 raised letters,
in an otherwise in-laid decal. Looks fine from the audience for now, but I
love the idea of filling in the recess with the gold pigmented wax.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Fred
Sturm
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 3:00 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Steinway brass logo

We just got a brand new Steinway D a couple weeks ago, and it has the
now-standard logo and large "Steinway & Sons" in brass on the side
toward the audience. The logo has started to curl away from the finish.
Examining it, it appears to be brass foil with a gummy back, simply
pressed onto the finished surface (in contrast to the letters, and the
logo and letters on the fall, which seem to have had finish applied
after they were placed, so that the finish more or less fills in around
the edges, helping to hold them in place).
	First question: Am I right about what I am dealing with (ie,
gummy-backed foil, applied to finished surface)?
	Second question: Is there any way such a logo is going to stay on more
than a month or so in an active university environment? Is there
something I can do to make it stick permanently? Or should I just tear
the darned thing off, wool wax (or sand with 400/600 if need be) where
it was and forget it?

Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico