need ideas

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu Apr 12 09:23 MDT 2001

As a teen, I worked in an audio store and assembled many audio/video
cabinets. It amazed me how a 4' high cabinet, that swayed 3-4" side to side,
became rigid once a flimsy 1/8" thick pressed-board back was attached.

Likewise with framing walls. Many stud walls have cross bar spacers, even
diagonals incorporated in the framing. However, it is not until the
sheathing (3/8" press-board) goes on, that the wall gains it's lateral
stability.

If this picture works for you Keith, I would recommend gusseting a full
sheet of material to the piano's back, rather than using the reinforcing
blocks. Cut openings (sound holes?)in your plywood (between the backposts),
glue, and use screws around the full perimeter, and up and down the back
posts.

This will give all the lateral strength that is possible, and will help more
with the torsional thing (twisting, racking,.. "geez Roger always comes up
with the best words!") than the blocking possibly can.

Also consider adding a vapor barrier with a fabric cover to the piano's
back. This will be of tremendous benefit to the Dampp-Chaser system. We use
clear poly (by the roll) and cover with black "rip-stop" nylon.

If you find merit in the idea Keith, your welcome to e-mail me direct, or
call 1-204-727-7462 with any questions.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University