"New" Hamburg Hammers

Donald McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Thu Apr 12 10:03 MDT 2001

Hi John,

In January I put a set of Hamburg's on our 22 year old D. (this piano
was restrung last August, used GC bass strings) Since then, every guest
artist and one piano faculty member have chosen this piano over our 3
year old NY D. In all fairness to the NY, it is in need of hammer filing
etc. but due to usage that has not been possible this semester. The
Hamburg hammers have a very nice clarity but less of a tonal palate than
the NY. The pianists that have used the older D preferred the clarity
and punch. I plan to work on the NY after commencement and then have a
chapter meeting here to compare the two and analyze the tonal
characteristics of each. Should be fun.

I also but a set of Hamburg's on an old B in the practice rooms. Same
tonal situation as above. The students scrambled to sign out that room.
Go figure.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College