shank/screw clearance

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon Apr 16 07:47 MDT 2001

To provide shank/rest clearance at full hammer blow, I'm needing to peel a
layer of felt off the rest-cushion (Steinway).

By "squishing" a shank into the rest-cushion, I currently have a good 1/8th"
clearance above the rep. height adjustment screw. However, with the shank
resting at correct blow-distance, the clearance between shank and cushion is
less than 1/16th".

ie: I'm wishing to trade some shank/screw clearance for a bit more
shank/rest-cushion clearance.

Q: Is (peeling) reducing the cushion thickness wise?

Q: Is my (static) test (above) the best proof of minimum shank/screw
clearance?

Q: I notice the rep. height screws are quite long (redundant), anyone had
occasion to replace these with shorter ones?

thanks,

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University