"New" Hamburg Hammers

Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon Apr 16 08:15 MDT 2001

I'm finally seeing all this after much discussion....Perhaps I can shed some
light and set the record straight.

I believe the initial discussion in this thread involved a question about
the difference between Hamburg Steinway hammers and the NY hammers. The
hammers I installed on the piano in question were purchased from Renner USA
and were described by Lloyd Meyer as being "Hamburg" Steinway hammers. These
are not the Renner blues (which I don't like for some reason) but are called
"Renner Gross-6" if you ever want to order some. They are about the biggest,
fattest (12 mm) hammers you can buy, though Pianotek is now selling some
big, fat Abel Concert hammers which are quite similar. I bought these
hammers in a panic because I was due to go to Martha's Vineyard in two weeks
to do a full Stanwood Concert specifications job on this action and the NY
hammers I had ordered 9 months before had not yet arrived (and wouldn't
until 2 months later). In retrospect I'm glad because I love the way this
piano now sounds, but at the time I was not too amused.

The piano in question was a beat-up old 1929 D which was in a rehearsal
space here at the Conservatory that Michael Wathen thought would be a likely
candidate for testing his "Wapin Bridge" invention on a concert instrument.
Don Gibbs (an excellent rebuilder in the Cincinnati area) put in a new
soundboard, and along with Michael installed a Wapin bridge. In this
configuration, the piano sounded quite good and was indeed good enough to be
selected by Barry Douglass over the two C&A  Ds the local dealer had to
offer when he performed with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. The only
complaints about the piano were related to the action. It was heavy, didn't
repeat well and was a bit thin in the upper range. The Stanwood job took
care of all these problems, and then some. It now has a beautiful round
sound with great projection and is capable of very subtle playing as well.
My conclusion after all the attention I have given this piano is that the
Wapin bridge works very well with full strike-weight hammers, and that this
instrument which sits side-by-side with an excellent nearly-new (1999)
Steinway D more than holds its own.

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati