removal of lacquer/keytop and shop vac danger

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat Apr 21 00:14 MDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Fred Sturm <fssturm@unm.edu>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 2:27 PM
Subject: removal of lacquer/keytop

| A few months ago, Horace Greeley, and then Roger Jolly, mentioned
| removing keytop solution from a set of hammers by saturating with
| acetone and letting it run down the tails (more or less). While
reading
| their description, I thought to myself (not for the first time)
| "Wouldn't it be great if you could put the hammers in solvent and
soak
| the stuff out?" But this time, I thought a little further, and
decided
| that was possible.

Yes and I was t hinking about helping it along by sucking the stuff
out with a wet-dry shop vacuum cleaner.  Thinking further, there might
be a problem, the fumes from acetone would probably be igninted by the
spark from the electric motor and ..... well ...... you get the
picture......UGLY!!  KABOOOM !!

I hope this won't be regarded as a frivolous post to caut, but I am
considering buying a wet-dry vac to use in refinishing.  Of course now
I know I can only use it with non flamible agents such as  TSP  but if
it doesn't work for that maybe I can use it to wash down and clean up
the carpet (or the car) after the aging family/farm dog who gets
"loose" with the slightest diatery deviation from Purina, like 4 month
old sheep afterbirth.   I guess they smell better in Spring than at 10
below.  I guess I better sign off now.    ---ric