Concert

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Thu Apr 26 11:20 MDT 2001

I disagree (respectfully, of course) with Richard Moody's contention that
piano performance ability on a level that allows recital performance should
be a job requirement.  While such ability clearly provides another avenue
for personal expression, and can serve to inform the technician's process,
not to mention facilitating communication between the technician and his
constituency,  to suggest this as a requirement is to unequivocally imply
that there is, necessarily, a correlation between pianistic ability and
that of the technician. Equally inescapable is the implication that job
cannot be successfully done without such performance ability.  (Besides,
how overqualified to you have to be before salaries begin to become
respectable?)  All that said, I definitely see it as an advantage and wish
I did play, for all the above reasons.

On Richard's other point, I too am curious about the embedded graphics in
the email. I use Eudora, and had no problem.

Ron, no one has yet asked.  Are you tuning for your own recital? If so,
what temperment(s) are you planning to use? (just kidding on the last
question).  If your abilities are as boundless as they seem, perhaps you
can post your program notes, as well as an objective after-concert review,
both written by yourself, of course.  In the spirit of completely ignoring
the extended discussion  of concert reviewers a while back (Greeley, et
al),  I would allow my decision whether or not to purchase the CD to rest
solely on such a document.  Finally, if you had given it a little more
thought, you probably could have arranged an Internet broadcast.  Something
to think about for next time.  Best wishes for an exciting
performance.  Any truth to the rumor that you're primary reason for doing
this is for the reception afterwards?

David Skolnik
Columbia University