Maintenance Schedule

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon Feb 5 07:58 MST 2001

Avery:

What a question!!!!!   I try to tune recital pianos as needed (i.e. at least once a week).  Practice room grands every 2 months (or more often), Piano faculty 4 times a year, vocal faculty 3 times a year, classroom pianos 2 - 3 times a year, practice room uprights unfortunately fall the the bottom of the priority list.  If I have a graduate assistant, he/she will use the SAT and they own the practice room uprights.  When I don't have an assistant, wow, they get bad!!!!

Rebuilding schedule is a tough one.  One teacher can beat the *&@$# out of the instrument and need rebuilding every 10 years or so, another can go 20 or more.  Recital pianos more often.  We rebuilt one recital piano a while back that was 14 years old, and it seemed about the right time to do it.

These things are pretty hard to predict.  Can't you find your crystal ball???

dave

On 2/5/01 at 9:33 AM Avery Todd wrote:

>List,
>
>Our business manager for the music dept. just called and told me
>that the Provost's office wants some kind of maintenance schedule
>for our pianos. Things like:
>
>1. How often should they be tuned
>2. How often rebuilt
>3. How often replaced
>4. etc., etc.
>
>She said they are in the process of evaluating the fees charged
>to students and wanted some kind of information pertaining to this.
>Even generic info would be helpful.
>
>I have a few ideas but would appreciate some feedback from you are more
>experienced in dealing with this type of beaurecratic @#$%$^&. :-)
>
>Any ideas? Thanks.
>
>Avery
>
>______________________________________
>
>mailto:atodd@uh.edu - Work           "I haven't failed. I've
>                                      found 10,000 ways that
>mailto:avery@ev1.net - Home           won't work."
>
>Avery Todd                           -Benjamin Franklin-
>Moores School of Music
>University of Houston
>Houston, TX 77204-4201
>713-743-3226