Harpsichord Tuning Aids

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu Jun 21 09:55 MDT 2001

Hi Jeff,

Korg model DT-1 uses an LED display, and has a fast and slow (dwell) mode.
In the slow mode, the unit will display the pitch for much longer than the
"darting" needle common to most chromatic tuners. The graduations are 2
cents apart.

I did a test-tuning on a small Sabathil (DIY kit) here. Toying around within
the (generous?) 2 cent range, I still found the results more than
acceptable. Afterall, a harpsichord is just an overgrown guitar, with keys!
:>)

I will do a small demo with faculty here before September, and hopefully do
myself out of this particular duty, perhaps permanently!

If this model is obsoleted, look for anything with a slow dwell setting, and
LED (non-needle)indicator. This unit would sell new for under $100.00 US.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

--Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Jeff
Stickney
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 8:12 PM
To: Caut (E-mail)
Subject: Harpsichord Tuning Aids

CAUT,
	I am writing to ask if any of you have specific recommendations for a
tuning aid that could be used for students and/or recommended to a church
for use by "amateur" tuners.  (How's that for a run-on sentence?)  I have
thought about having one available for harpsichord students at the "U", so
they can touch it up without messing it up.  I also have a church customer
who would like to be able to tune their harpsichord more reliably.  Opinions
about lights versus VU meters, specific brands and models and, of course,
sources would be helpful.  Preferably in the $150-250 range.  Thanks.

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu