guidelines update

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Tue Mar 6 16:07 MST 2001

Good idea.  But real numbers will be misleading without a sense of real
results produced by those numbers.

I would think some sort of comment or rating by the tech(s) at each school
evaluating how effective their department is in "actual, real life
conditions" would be valuable.  Perhaps if not each school, a sampling of
tech comments geared toward the effect of the piano inventory on the
quality of education a music student could receive.  Otherwise, these
numbers give the impression we're all able to do just fine at a 1:125
ratio.  Meanwhile, bean counters will see that if they hire a second tech
for 240 25-year-old pianos, they'll be better than the national average (or
whatever that number turns out to be).

Same goes for other categories of the revisions.  Each institution seems to
use each others numbers to stay below the status quo, instead of improving
on it.

Regards,
Jeff

>Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:42:20 -0600
>From: Fred Sturm <fssturm@unm.edu>
>Subject: guidelines update
>
>Cauts,
>	As part of the effort to produce a revised "Guidelines for Effective
>Institutional Piano Maintenance," I am proposing to develop a rather
>brief appendix to the document, which will give an idea of actual, real
>life conditions in music schools/departments. This is something several
>on the caut list have expressed an interest in.
>snip!

>Before I broadcast a fairly simple survey to try to gather some of this
>data, I'd like to solicit your input and feedback.
>
>Thanks,
>Fred Sturm
>University of New Mexico

>End of caut-digest V2001 #34

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
School of Music
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208 (We've got 3 interstates here)
(803)-777-4392 (phone)