guidelines update/include contract techs?

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Tue Mar 6 15:54 MST 2001

Fred:

This would be helpful.  But I would like to include a much larger number of
technicians/schools in that survey than this proposal would include.  If the
contract tech schools are included (schools which only use non-employee piano
tech service), we would finally include the majority of schools in our
survey, which are presently "falling through the woodwork."

By including the "part-time" university tech (loosely defined), we begin to
reach out to this important group of technicians, who may want - and probably
need - the additional knowledge, skills and association which CAUT can
provide.  This would, of course, make a survey on contract tech school
service much easier and less expensive to accomplish.

While most "flagship" institutions employ their technicians (although even
some of these "creatively" employ these techs, avoiding the additional costs
of benefits),   a majority of colleges and universities contract their piano
service.  We can only speculate what the real world situation is in these
schools, adn we have no database of technicians who service these schools.  I
would like to see CAUT work to define what a CAUT contract tech is, and begin
to encourage these techs to participate in CAUT.  Besides the other obvious
reasons, we would be able to obtain data on these schools too.

Fred, does this fit in with what you have in mind?  I am interested in all of
your ideas and experiences, as I prepare the CAUT contract tech session at
the convention, and an article which I hope to get into the CAUT newsletter
before the convention.

Bill Shull,  RPT
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

In a message dated 3/5/01 2:42:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, fssturm@unm.edu