Replacement Keys?

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 6 21:51 MST 2001

	The piano is a D that suffers from "power loss" on some notes. In
some instances, the harder you hit the key, the less sound you get! So, I
pull the action and check to see if the tails are hanging up on the
backchecks. I notice an unusual amount of flex in the key itself. Upon
close inspection I see the balance rail buttons have been replace with
what looks like poplar, not a strong wood. Some of the buttons "give" when
you attempt to flex the key by pushing down on the key front while holding
the hammer down, or holding the back of the key down. I think the keys
have lost their strength and would like to test my theory by having a new
set of keys made. The theory applies to concert instruments that are older
and may have seen many years of heavy usage. I believe wood can fatigue
when stressed to it's limits repeatedly.

John Minor
University of Illinois