Replacement Keys?

Serge Harel harel@clic.net
Wed Mar 7 06:14 MST 2001

John

If you just want to prove yours theory.
May I suggest you something:

Last years I have the same problem when I rebuilt a 1979 NY D with a
Pratt and Read key very thin and flexible; new key was an too expensive
and too long option. So with a engineer friend specialize in composite
material. I make an 3/4 inch carbon fiber tape that I glue on each key
After you got the material it's an 12 hour work
And I'm very happy with the result.

Serge Harel
University Laval

> The piano is a D that suffers from "power loss" on some notes. In
> some instances, the harder you hit the key, the less sound you get! So, I
> pull the action and check to see if the tails are hanging up on the
> backchecks. I notice an unusual amount of flex in the key itself. Upon
> close inspection I see the balance rail buttons have been replace with
> what looks like poplar, not a strong wood. Some of the buttons "give" when
> you attempt to flex the key by pushing down on the key front while holding
> the hammer down, or holding the back of the key down. I think the keys
> have lost their strength and would like to test my theory by having a new
> set of keys made. The theory applies to concert instruments that are older
> and may have seen many years of heavy usage. I believe wood can fatigue
> when stressed to it's limits repeatedly.
>
> John Minor
> University of Illinois
>

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Avery Todd wrote:
>
> ]John & List,
> ]
> ]I have 2 Kluge keyboards (one in bone) from Kluge through the
> ]Rappaport's on complete rebuilding jobs. Both seem to be fine,
> ]although the bone is beginning to yellow considerably and I'm
> ]not sure yet how to "whiten" them up some.
> ]
> ]I'm curious as to why you're replacing the keys. Really old
> ]and in bad shape? The reason I'm asking is I'm going to have
> ]to do something in the near future about the keyboard on our
> ]Hamburg D. It's only about 18 yrs. old or so but the ivories
> ]are getting very thin and sharp edged in the front and the
> ]edges of the sharps are more rounded than a lot of people
> ]like.
> ]
> ]Because of the age, I've considered sending them to be
> ]recovered rather than replace the whole keyboard. However, if
> ]they were recovered, I'd definitely want someone who could do
> ]a really top notch job!
> ]
> ]Also, how do the prices compare between Kluge and Bob. Just
> ]curious.
> ]
> ]Opinions? Recover or replace? Thanks.
> ]
> ]Avery
> ]
> ]>I'd like to have a set of replacement keys made for one of our D's and
> ]>wondered if anyone could steer me in the right direction. I know
Pianotek