Casters

Wed Mar 14 05:12 MST 2001

Bonjour Marcel,

At 20:17 03/13/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>At the Orford Art Center, I've had one director a few years back that hated
>the truck so much that he had us remove it before concerts. The piano was
>lifted by hands and wood blocks were used under the legs. Painful, but
>effective. He kept insisting that the piano sounded better without the truck
>under. I wonder if he was wright or not ???

He could have been right.  The wood floors we have here are "floating" on
sleepers and rubber mounts.  There IS a certain amount of resonance added
by the floor.  The stage truck pretty well isolates the piano from the
floor, whereas the wood blocks would transfer some of the case
resonance.  I would guess that the bass was "fuller".

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.