Guidelines addendum

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu Mar 15 11:53 MST 2001

Fred Sturm wrote:

> . The idea is to create peer pressure,

Hi Fred,
    It is excellent what you are doing.  CAUT could have a database/file on every
music institution publicly available on the web.  Updated a minimum of annually it
would contain all of the information concerning a schools inventory and
maintenance program, (how often pianos are tuned, staffing ratios, etc.).  We
could all study each other for personal evaluation and inventory comparison.  More
seriously, we could harness the real power of the web, by rating institutions.
Most schools take ratings very seriously like the US News and World Report
Rankings and National Association of Schools of Music evaluations. I'm sure these
entities would be interested in CAUT reports also.  It won't surprise me at all to
learn of current top rated institutions harboring shameful conditions in practice
rooms.
      We also need to encourage schools to improve Staff technician compensation
to reflect the true value of technicians and thus encourage productivity.  I'm not
sure how we can communicate that though.
-Mike