Guidelines addendum

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Thu Mar 15 19:18 MST 2001

Since probably only have of practicing technicians in this country are
members of PTG, I think we can assume the same in CAUT jobs.  I don't think
the techs at Eastman are members, are the techs at Julliard?  How about
Curtis?

Naturally I wonder why there are so many non members.  ?!?!?

dave

On 3/15/01 at 7:18 PM Allan L. Gilreath, RPT wrote:

>Bill and the list,
>
>I like to see so many good thoughts coming forth in this discussion.
>Inclusion of the contract techs (like myself) would be crucial in getting
>good picture of the actual state of affairs.
>
>I'm very interested in the possibilities of expanding the CAUT educational
>offerings and certainly appreciate any and all input that we can receive
in
>making the Institute more and more suited to our needs.  This looks like a
>great means of expanding our educational offerings.
>
>Allan
>Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
>Assistant Director - TEAM2001
>July 11-15, 2001 - Reno, NV
>agilreath@mindspring.com
>http://www.ptg.org/conv.htm
>Director: Laura Olsen, RPT
>Assistant Directors: Allan Gilreath, RPT - Gary Neie, RPT - Dale Probst,
RPT

If
>email addresses are included, an email survey could be conducted each
year.
>Obviously this includes only music school techs who are members of the
PTG.
>Beyond the stated data-gathering goal, it is at least as valuable for CAUT
>contract techs to "declare themselves."  Many contract techs may not
>consider
>themselves CAUTs, but need much the same specialization of training,
>resources and colleagues which employed techs have;  returning this
>supplemental information sheet could be first step towards that identity.
>
>The PTG home office might cooperate in a survey using CMS- or
NAMM-provided
>lists.  I have talked with Dan Hall about this (and with Taylor a little
>more
>generally) and if the CAUTCOM wanted to request this we might receive home
>office support.  A remarkable amount of data could be gathered with
>incredible potential to help shape the future of piano service programs
and
>piano inventories.
>
>Tangential to this discussion, but in my mind equally important:  I have
>also
>recommended that we begin to establish and meet curriculum objectives for
>day-long CAUT annual events which provide all of us CAUTs with a baseline
of
>specialized training.  Certainly the structuring and specialization of
>Annual
>Institute CAUT curriculum would enhance our position with NAMM, etc.
>
>Bill Shull, RPT
>University of Redlands, La Sierra University
>

>In a message dated 3/15/01 10:53:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>

>Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu writes:
>
><< Fred Sturm wrote:
>
> > . The idea is to create peer pressure,
>
> Hi Fred,
>     It is excellent what you are doing.  CAUT could have a database/file
on
>every
> music institution publicly available on the web.  Updated a minimum of
>annually it
> would contain all of the information concerning a schools inventory and
> maintenance program, (how often pianos are tuned, staffing ratios, etc.).
>We
> could all study each other for personal evaluation and inventory
>comparison.
> More
> seriously, we could harness the real power of the web, by rating
>institutions.
> Most schools take ratings very seriously like the US News and World
Report
> Rankings and National Association of Schools of Music evaluations. I'm
sure
>these
> entities would be interested in CAUT reports also.  It won't surprise me
at
>all to
> learn of current top rated institutions harboring shameful conditions in
>practice
> rooms.
>       We also need to encourage schools to improve Staff technician
>compensation
> to reflect the true value of technicians and thus encourage productivity.
>I'm not
> sure how we can communicate that though.
> -Mike
>  >>

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net