caut-digest V2001 #45 (CAUT spills his guts)

Mary C. Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 27 20:39 MST 2001

I don't read Pianotech because it's too much information. I've got work to
do! I did, however, get the forward of Michael's post today, and have been
thinking about it. Of course, there is much wisdom there, and I have great
respect for Michael's experience. But I question the part about not "wasting
time" befriending students. While it is most politically expedient to
befriend faculty and administration, there is much to be gained from getting
to know these talented young people. Of course, I have the luxury of working
on a staff of four piano techs (2 full- and 2 half-time, I am half-time; we
have about 265 pianos), and I am not the head technician. Still, I just
wanted to make the point that students often have pianos in their homes that
need to be serviced, and they are at school to learn, and can learn from us.
I also gain a great deal musically, technically and personally from my
friendships with students and, after nine years at UT, have made some
friends for life among them. It is a privelege to serve them.