caut-digest V2001 #45 (CAUT spills his guts)

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Wed Mar 28 05:17 MST 2001

Mary,
I agree with you that the caution against "wasting time befriending
students" is probably unnecessarily harsh.  I think you are right in the
value you have found in these interactions and relationships, both
personally and professionally.  I wonder, though, if the head technician
there feels able to expend the same amount of time (however much that may
be) in cultivating such interactions.  With the staffing you described, it
may, in fact be possible, but I believe Michael was addressing what most of
us have experienced...the overworked/understaffed cycle.  Relating to
people becomes a valuable luxury.

With regard to the reading or non-reading of the pianotech list, I did not
mean to sound critical.  It truly is an incredible flow of information.
Some valuable, some less so.  Your response though, perhaps in its
succinctness, seemed dismissive...as though the people who communicate
there do not work.  In truth, maybe some of them are not as busy as you.  I
suspect some are simply more adept at the writing / editing process,  but
to dismiss it for having too much information seems shortsighted.

Best wishes

David Skolnik
Columbia University
New York, NY