old Beckstein

Sambell, Ted Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.CA
Wed Mar 28 09:30 MST 2001

Dennis,

I think it would be rather a pity to modify the keys on the old Bechstein
unless the wippens are in such poor condition as to need replacing. It can
be done of course.
Renner have an offset screwdriver in their catalog specifically made for
Bechstein and similar designs in other makes, and it is the only tool I know
which works on the rockers, because of the short height up to the bottom of
the jacks. It has a steel tip about the size of a sugar cube with a 1/8"
high blade on each of four faces appropiately angled. The handle is a length
of rod. The No. in the hardcover catalog is 1793 and is named (in German
only)a Winkelscraubenzieber. By the way, Bechstein  is spelled with an 'h'
for the fourth letter, not a 'k'.
Renner USA is unlikely to stock it the tool but should be able to order it,
though it might be a long wait.

Regards to all, Ted

Ted Sambell_banffcentre.ab.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Johnson [mailto:johnsond@stolaf.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 8:41 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: old Beckstein

Has anyone ever tried to modify the old rocker style capstan/whippen
connection with short sticker to the modern capstan which would
then accommodate new Renner replacement whippens?  I'm considering whether
or not to accept such an action job on an old 1880's Beckstein Grand with
that system, and not really sure I'm interested if I can't use all new
parts. It would probably involve adding a small wood block on top the key
to mount the new capstan, but ultimately the geometry should not be
affected if done correctly, and would be much improved and more reliable
with the modern capstan and parts. This is for a serious player who seems
committed to the instrument. We already talked about putting the money
toward something new and different.

thanks,

Dennis Johnson