Soundboard shims via Spurlok method

Robert Edwardsen eedward2@rochester.rr.com
Tue May 1 05:00 MDT 2001

Tim,

Is the Wood Rebuilder the type the Ruth and Webb Phillips sell?

Rob Edwardsen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Coates" <tcoates@dtgnet.com>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, January 01, 1904 4:23 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboard shims via Spurlok method

As I remember these were the only problems I encountered with this system.
The thick double back tape for hanging pictures made by 3M is the best.  As
with routing any wood, one must work in a certain direction with the grain
of
the wood.

For the last 5 years I have used Wood Rebuilder with powder stain (mix of
white and pine) and finished the board with water based lacquer sponge
brushed on.  Water based lacquer doesn't change the color of the wood when
applied.  So, it is easy to get a good color match.  Wood Rebuilder dries in
15 minutes and you can make it any consistency you wish.  After drying the
board down, I can repair it in one hour, and start scrapping it.

I did like the Spurlock method, but it is too labor intensive (as any
shimming method is in my opinion) when I can get better results with Wood
Rebuilder.

I have never used Epoxy, but it seems to be messy and requires time for the
epoxy to dry.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota