Detuning 13 notes (aka: Tuning for outside groups)

Kent Swafford kswafford@kc.rr.com
Sun May 6 15:21 MDT 2001

Boy, David, what a mess! Our business depends upon a certain level of
professional behavior from everyone involved.

My experience is that it is very rare for anyone to try to stiff the piano
tuner. I bill outside groups directly for tunings at the university where I
help out, and in ten years (can it really be that long?) I have never had an
experience like the one you describe.

The behavior of the jazz society director was extremely unusual, rude,
unprofessional, and just plain dumb, because by arguing on the day of the
concert about terms, she was jeopardizing her relationship with the
musicians, the college, and the audience, in addition to the piano tech.

To the extent it is possible, unprofessional behavior must be met with
exemplary professional behavior. When you detuned the piano, David, you
burned your bridges, because you now have no basis on which to request
payment. Had you finished the tuning to the best of your ability, you would
have been within your rights not to accept the assertions of the jazz
society director as the final word on the matter, and you could have sent
the bill to the college and asked for their assistance. Now you can't do
that, in my opinion, because you did not provide a proper tuning in the end.

(That said, you may find that the 4 cent detuning you did was insufficient
to make your point. I suspect it might take 8-12 cents or even more.  :)

Kent Swafford