Keytop Machines?

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed May 9 16:07 MDT 2001

At 05:28 PM 05/09/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Do you ever have any trouble with the front being chipped by the router bit?

No, I start at the back of the key and let the bit trim the perimeter.
With the vice at the fence I start the key on the back right side
and ease my way up and around the front, down the other side
and across the back, then remove stock from the center.

A set can be done in less than 45 minutes.  The plastic butts right
against the end of the notch for a clean appearance.

If the tail length will allow a shorter piece, I'll trim off the embossed
letters.
The plastic is set on the key and a line is scribed on the key for fence setup.

I use a plunge router bit which has a cutting edge on the bottom, I suppose
an end milling bit would work if it also has cutters on the sides.

The reason I prefer this method over the Oslund machine is the butt joint
at the end
of the tail. The circular kerf extending beyond the new top looks sloppy.

Regards,

Jon Page