Appropriate Historical Temperaments

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu May 17 06:38 MDT 2001

Lawrence writes:

<<Also, I was heartened by Ed's comment that he keeps most instruments in

Young.  I'm thinking that's what we call the Valotti/Young, which is our

default for harpsichord and fortepiano.<<

Greetings,
   I may have give a slightly erroneous impression.  The harpsichord is kept
in a Young as the default tuning. However,  the humidity changes  cause far
greater deviation that any found between temperaments, so for something like
a harpsichord, which must be tuned before each use, we really don't have a
default.  As far as "most",  I am beginning to get too varied for any
particular tuning.  I have Young temperaments in jazz clubs, Victorians in
most of my homes, ET's (as well as  Youngs) in recording studios, Coleman 11
and 16 in school practise rooms, etc.  (oh, did I mention, I LIKE this stuff?)
  In the rest of the music school,  I am using a variety.  I have a Young in
a practise room, and also a Coleman 11.  In two of the piano teachers
studios, I have the pianos in Broadwood's  version of a Victorian ET.  They
like it.
   In the studio of our voice dept. head,  I use a Moore & Co. temperament.
He really likes the sound, and a visiting accompanist from a rather
prestigious school was smitten by the piano, all around.  (no, we never
mentioned anything being differnent).
     All of these late model, modified ET's expand the range of the thirds'
sizes. Compared to a steady 13.7 cents in ET, the 16 or 17 cent thirds in B
or F# are a little more "energetic", but the music seems to have already been
written to accomodate that, in fact, often making a feature out of what could
be construed as a bug.
     The added consonance of slowing down the thirds in keys is what really
hits the pianists most strongly.  The lessening of tempering in the most
commonly used tonalities has more impact than the occasional blare of a
highly tempered passage.  The effect on pedaling is also noticed quite
quickly.
    I am curious about how the temperament ordinaire is going to be received.
 It appears that the key of Ab will have an extremely wide tonic third(24
cents?). I imagine that Beethoven's "Pathetique" would be really tedious in
this tuning, since we used a Kirnberger for our recording,and the 21 cent Ab
third in that key was about as much as I could take!   Please keep us posted
on how far you can go with your faculty.
      I have found it interesting that several listeners to the Mozart
comparisons on our Six Degrees CD have decided that they like the 1/4 comma
meantone version!!  I am astounded, since everytime I hear that wolf
clang,(it is 41 cents wide), the hair on the back of my neck stands up.  Just
goes to show that there is a WIDE variety of tastes out there.

    As a side note somewhat out of the academic field, songwriters here tell
me that they are writing in keys they never used before their pianos got
"bent",(their word for non ET).
Regards,
Ed Foote