Appropriate Historical Temperaments

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat May 19 00:59 MDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <A440A@aol.com>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: Appropriate Historical Temperaments

|       I have found it interesting that several listeners to the
Mozart
| comparisons on our Six Degrees CD have decided that they like the
1/4 comma
| meantone version!!  I am astounded, since everytime I hear that wolf
| clang,(it is 41 cents wide), the hair on the back of my neck stands
up.  Just
| goes to show that there is a WIDE variety of tastes out there.

Ed
    You are not supposed to listen to the G#--Eb "wolf fifth" or these
"wolf thirds" G#--C, F#--Bb, the C#--F, or the B--Eb.   When you
encounter them in music you arpegiate them (stacato) and DON'T use the
sustain pedal.  In Meantone you are supposed to listen to the C-E-G
and delight in the pure sounding triad impossible (so they say) on
keyboard instruments.  If you think that is heavenly, there are minors
that are absolutly ethereal.  "Amazing Grace" and Greensleaves" will
prove it.  I would love to hear it accompany singers.
    Leave a few 1/4 comma Meantones  around and you might just start a
new folk song era.
---ric