Piano covers

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Fri Nov 2 08:18 MST 2001

As to the stay on covers, samples arrived today. They are velour w/a foam sandwich.
The picture and brochure are much better than the website pics. I'm
worried about lint attraction to the material.

I would not call this heavy duty, either. So I don't think they will work for
my situation w/the concert grand moving between halls.

We did buy a vinyl cover for the other concert grand from Pianotek last spring.
It seems to be pretty good quality. Some of the smaller lady- pianists think
it is heavy. But, I don't think it is heavier than the mover's cover. It looks
really nice, too. I decided to try vinyl after going through 2 mover's covers.
Time alone will tell. We have yet to use if for moving pianos between halls.

I have to have the harpsichord cover repaired anyhow.  I'll take
the mover's cover in and see if the tent and awning place can
add some leather/or vinyl to the corners/and sides where it always rips.
They have repaired the harpsichord cover before. I know they
will come up w/something.

 The harpsichord cover was made by someone Margaret Hood the harpsichord maker knew.
 It is made from "sail cloth" and has not ripped. Custom form
fitted to the Zuckerman model she made at the time, it has
leather at all the corners, and at the tail.

The problem with all these mods is there is bound to be a place
where they will be caught, and ripped off as the 1100+lbs piano
x velocity zips by. Something about objects in motion tend to
remain in motion. Esp. at the hands of student movers. :-|

Once the covers are off, though...the pianos get dinged up anyhow.

I keep a black touch-up pen in my kit. From the audience you don't see
the dings as well.

I also thought that having the mover's leg bags modified to slit down
the sides w/velcro would protect the legs. They could be kept
in place by adding velcro tabs  to the mover cover on top.

So...as the students say as the merrily sail the grands from
one hall to the other... "RAMMING SPEED!!!!!"

tah, tah

Richard