key doublets

Ted Sambell esambell@telusplanet.net
Tue Nov 6 15:30 MST 2001

Hello Newton,

Thanks for your observations on the Nomenclature Book. It must have been
some job, like trying to lift  an elephant with a lever made of feathers.
I would be the last to try and impose one definition of any term on
everybody, as there are perfectly valid ones which are both national and
regional. Historicallly, many traditional names come from furniture and
architecture, for instance, the sides or ends of an upright are called
'gables'
by some Canadian techs, which seems quite recognizable. In the UK, the
bottom panel (a good name) is called the 'bottom door', distinguishing it
from the top panel which they call the 'top door.' Both perfectly logical,
as we define a door as a structure for opening or closing an entrance, among
other descriptions. Other UK terms are a bit more of a stretch, for instance
the 'plinth', which turns out to be the upright pedal rail. A plinth is the
square block at the base of a column, the base which a statue stands on, or
a row of bricks or stone at the bottom of a wall, so the connection is
pretty tenuous. Nevertheless the architectural influence is obvious. I might
have wished the bottom board to be called the pedal board, but for my part I
am more than willing to use and accept nomenclature  which has been arrived
at by consensous. My objection is to those people who enter our field
without knowledge, and do not have the discipline or humility to immerse
themselves in learning the fundamentals or paying the costs. Their
dilettantisms just leads to confusion. I am willing to go out on a limb and
become part of any effort to update this aspect of our craft. Further than
this, I plead guilty to sneakily trying for a laugh in my former post on
this subject; it is just a defect of my character.

Regards to all, Ted Sambell