RCT TlabPro and SAT III

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed Nov 7 10:35 MST 2001

Hi to all:

This week I did a video tape comparing the RCT, the TunelabPro and
the SAT III. Many people have suggested a Tuneoff between the
three instruments several times on the pianotech list. As in the
Tuneoffs with Virgil Smith I always predicted that there is not a
dimes worth of difference between the tunings. Here is a chance to
see for yourself. This is Coleman vs Coleman vs Coleman which rules
out ego tripping. These videos are available from Superior
Instructional Tapes now.

Ric Moody stopped in to visit me yesterday. He drove down from
North Dakota to visit his son who lives in this area. I utilized
Ric as Camera man while taping the last segment of the above video.
The neatest thing he did was to tune out the unisons after I did
the machine tuning. He did a great job. I don't think I will tune
my piano again for awhile.

In the taping of the use of the RCT, I used a number 6 Octave
Tuning Style (OTS). This worked out beautifully for my Steinway L
in the treble. In the Bass, I departed from the program and
demonstrated a method for getting pure 6-3 type octaves using the #6
OTS.

In the demo of the TLPro, I adjusted the Tuning curve to be
similar to what I had done with the RCT and what I have determined
from past experience works fairly well. In the SATIII portion I
demonstrated the judiciout use of the Double Octave Beat (DOB) in
achieving my personal preference for octave matching.

I used many aural tests throughout so that the demo would not be
so boring. 3rds, 10ths, 17ths, octave-5ths, double octave-5ths and
M6ths, 3rd-10th-17ths were used often to show the smoothness of
all of the tuning systems. Single, double and triple octaves were
easy to hear, none perfect, but all well balanced to give a nice
overall sound.

Jim Coleman, Sr.