It IS a full time job

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed Nov 14 09:35 MST 2001

Hi Willem,
      Man! we hear ya!   I don't think you can ever bring all things to
absolute perfection, but always try.  But,  choosing what to do and what
not to do is what will make the difference.  With 75 pianos, I would
tune three each workday, including the recital tunings.  Tuned about
every six weeks, all would always be decent with tunings averaging only
three weeks old. Try to mix piano types each day to avoid boredom and
fatigue.   Spend two hours on each one always to 440, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 on
tuning with the rest of the time for doing repairs, regulating,
repining, eliminating noises, and tone regulating, whatever improvement
is most needed.  Get a ETD for help, and use hearing protection.   If
you improve each piano in some way each service, eventually the
inventory will get better.  You cannot conquer this behemoth in one
year, don't even look at the mess, for  it will depress you, just start
chipping away at it.   In time though, mountains can be moved.   You
should have two other hours a day for all of the other responsibilities
and projects.  During summer or slower times the ratio of projects to
other service can increase.   IMHO, don't get bogged down in too much
rebuilding, though projects are good, it is an easy way to fail in such
a job.  Set up a regular pace or routine which is comfortable for you
and will meet the everyday needs of the school.   You will survive for
many decades.  You're probably noticing that pianos don't live too long
in university environments, some aren't treated very well.

Hang in there, don't be impossible on yourself, you can't solve fifty
years of neglect over one year.

Best wishes,
-Mike Jorgensen
Central Michigan University