annealing brass; THANKS!

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon Nov 26 14:16 MST 2001

Thanks for all the informative replys.

The instrument is a Heintzman upright, a Canadian maker we are particularly
fond of.

In past I have converted these actions to Renner butts, with most satisfying
results. In this instance I offered the client a choice, and wouldn't ya
know it,...

The rails are fine, the butt-plates all original and it will probably be
okay. The idea of providing an "ounce of prevention" in the oven is
appealing. Going beyond this, as suggested, may not be merited.

As always, many thanks!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

What type of piano are you doing this type of treatment to?  Uprights,
grands?  Is
it worth it?  Around here uprights are a dime a dozen and hardly worth going
this much work.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota
University of Sioux Falls