NASM review

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue Oct 2 09:50 MDT 2001

Fred,
I am in the middle of a budget proposal, both short and long-term, so I've
had to go through a similar process. Can you tell me what the NASM is? Also,
are there other agencies such as MTNA that audit college music programs (and
their pianos)? We may or may not have thse in Canada.

BTW, for our budget proposal, our Dean arranged a meeting between ourselves
and the President, and Vice-President of Finance. Knowing the shortness of
my own attention span, I kept the presentation to 10 minutes worth, and used
overhead transparencies to underscore the points, i.e.:

Pianos under 7 years old:	1
Pianos under 15 years old:	16

and so forth.

The presentation was held in a faculty studio. On the left side of the room
was that prof's current 1904 S&S "O" with "lumpy" pyralin key-tops, and
well-worn and beaten mahogany cabinet.

On the right side, was an identical ribbon-mahogany 1911 "O" which I had
just finished (at 10:00 AM that day). It has a brand new hand-rubbed, satin
finish, gold-plated brightwork, and of course, a new soundboard,
action-rebuild, and all the trimmings. The detailing (by no coincidence)
allow it to pass for "new."

The visual comparison was dramatic. A particularily gifted first-year
student gave a mini-recital to highlight the "new" piano's quality of sound.
Finally, substantiating figures where displayed on the overhead to
illustrate the savings of restoring quality instruments to full enjoyment.

I believe this presentation gave our administration what they needed, in
order to understand the role of piano service in a quality music program.

What will come of it? I'm not sure. The more time I spend in an institution
(no, not that kind of instituiton! <G> ), the more complicated it seems. I
will share our progress on CAUT, and certainly appreciate the way we're able
to pool our efforts and experience.

One more annecdote: The prof with the 1904 "O" knew it was in rough shape,
but had previously been hesitant to part with it. Fearing not being able to
get another "Steinway," I think.

The 1911 had been in an un-locked practice studio for years, and had the
"history of the world" etched into it's finish. I had planned the overhaul
two years ago, as a "surprise," and actually began the work last October.

The unveiling (and surprise) was to happen the day after the budget
proposal, when the prof would return home from vacation. As it happened, she
arrived half-way through the presentation! There was no "red bow and ribbon"
on the piano, though the look of astonishment on her face was priceless!

The poor-old 1904 "O" is now stuck in an un-locked practice studio, awaiting
the grafitti artists pen,... or,... some good news about the budget!  :>)
Here's hoping!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University