Selecting new Steinways

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu Oct 18 12:36 MDT 2001

Hi Phil,
     It is critical that whoever will be doing most of the playing
choose the piano.  There are just too many varied opinions about what's
good.  The pianist should be fully happy with it, in every way, so you
will only need to maintain it and never be expected to make
"improvements".    IMHO, the piano with the greatest power and sustain
in the upper treble will make the best hall piano.  The pianist should
have a minimum of an hour to practice on each potential choice, in
private, so they can concentrate on the piano rather than being tempted
to perform for whoever's there.   I would council the pianist to be
alert on what acoustical differences exist between the selection room
and its' final destination.

-Mike Jorgensen