Guidelines formula - Questions

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Oct 18 13:02 MDT 2001

Jeff,
	I think you are right on in your questions and concerns. The same ideas
have also occured to me.
	It may be that we should have an additional category for performance
pianos, for instance, under "acceptable standards." It's hard to know
what value to assign it, though. Some schools tune performance pianos
daily, others on a more "as needed" basis. And it depends how
"performance oriented" the school is (though this is covered somewhat
under the Base Workload variable).
	The quality vs condition question is a very muddy one. If quality is
"poor" (not even worth reconditioning), does that mean we are really
going to spend more time on it? Partly that depends what standard we are
trying to meet for the individual piano. But really, practically, the
highest quality pianos (worth complete rebuild) are the ones that eat
time - because we rebuild them. So in a sense, it seems the numbers are
the reverse of what they should be.
	In offering my draft of revised input numbers, I didn't address these
issues. I'd love to see some suggestions as to how to do so. Thanks for
bringing it up.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico