taken a-back

Scott E. Thile scott.thile@murraystate.edu
Thu Oct 18 14:41 MDT 2001

Hi Michelle,

I've seen several Steinways that have the whippen rails rotated back. This
pulls the whippens further away from the knuckles, and back from the
capstans. I would suspect this might be the case on this instrument from
your description. You may be able to fix this by re-soldering the rail in
the correct position. It's tricky but doable. You will need to completely
unsolder the entire rail to do this though. There is no way to heat all the
solder joints at the same time.

What is the situation with the original whippens?  Seems like they would
have problems as well. I suppose it could be the new flanges, but I've not
ever had that problem before with Renner.

Take care,
Scott
------------

At 12:24 PM 10/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hmmmm... anyone ever seen or had this problem??
>
>A set of Renner wippens were ordered for a Steinway M here in my shop some
>time ago, before I was employed here. The correct ones were ordered as far
>as things lining up, but once placed on the rail they were grossly pulled
>back from where the capstan should be resting comfortably on the capstan
>pad. And it played like a TRUCK.
>
>After much hemming and hawing, comparing parts, mumbling select phrases, I
>figured out that:
>
>The flanges on the wippens were not coved out correctly, and the contour did
>not match up with the Steinway wippen rail, therefor pulling them back. The
>middle cove of the flange cut-out was more squared than rounded.
>
>I have talked with several of my local/trusty piano guru's, and I will now
>see if Renner will  MAYBE MAYBE THINK about ( just maybe..) giving up some
>wippen flanges.
>
>Ehhh... I will keep you posted on this, but these parts are unusable.
>( and expensive.)
>
>:) enjoy the pretty leaves!
>Michelle
>stranges@oswego.edu