New Steinway prep

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 20 11:23 MDT 2001

Hi list,

I just prepped 2 new Steinways this week, a B and a D and I was wondering if
any have had similar problems....  After the piano sat for a few weeks, the
music desks were swollen up so much, I COULD NOT GET THEM OFF.  Really.  (RH
was 56%)  It took me 20 minutes for one, an hour for the D.  I finally
padded the desk and hit it with a very heavy iron door weight (my hammer
wasn't heavy enough) moving it 1/8" at a time alternating each side till it
came off.  I was worn out before starting my work.  (I trimmed all parts and
reinstalled, no problem)
Also, the lacquer on the last several pianos has not completely cured for
months.  The lid buttons, desk felt, cheek blocks all stick together and the
lid covers make marks on the finish.  Are they using water base lacquer now?
I see more finish problems this last year than before.  The pianos came out
beautifully when prepped, still a great instrument, I think.  Lots of
improvement (especially actions) over a few years ago.

When hardening hammers, is there an efficient procedure?  I've found that 1
application of lacquer (25%), listen after 3-4 hours to see where weaker
areas are, apply more there, relisten after 3-4 hrs, and regulate, etc.,
while they dry.  Voice after drying overnight. But, I'm wondering if there
is a smarter way so as not to spend the day breathing lacquer and still get
the piano finished in a quick turn around time. Maybe not : )  Thanks!

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net