shy wippins

Wed Sep 5 09:04 MDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michelle L Stranges" <stranges@Oswego.EDU>
To: "caut list" <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: September 05, 2001 8:27 AM
Subject: shy wippins

> I've just pulled the second coming on the whole action ( in my eyes..) and
> I'm finally  putting back on the wippins and lo and behold... I notice
about
> #26 into it:
> When lifted by hand,the wippins are NO WHERE NEAR the drop screws. I
wonder
> if they ever were.  (I'mtellinyou, it's about 1/4" away!!!!)

> The rail for the wippins can be unscrewed from the action brackets, and IF
> THE CAPSTANS ALLOW this, I am going to shim the whole wippin line forward.
>
> I have NOT put the key board under it yet... key's just got rebushed.
> I will do that tonight.

> Hmm... any of y'all seen anything like this??

> A proud cheap grand owner with cheap grand problems,
> Michelle

Well, Michelle, you're not going to like this but I'm going to say it
anyway. It's time to go to the guru.

Yes, I've seen actions like this before. And worked my way through them. But
it was only after gaining a thorough understanding of action geometry.

Before you start relocating action rails (and screwing up what little
semblance of proper action geometry still remains), get yourself some advice
from someone in your area who has been through these things a few times in
the past. Go ahead and finish up all the basic rebuilding steps, replace all
the miscellaneous felt and leather pieces, finish up the keys and keyframe,
then make the appointment and go to the guru.

You'll need some basic measurements such as key height, string elevations
and scale stick marks (you did record these before removing or sanding the
hammers, didn't you?), etc. The whole thing might cost you an hour or two of
the guru's time, but it will be well worth the investment if you end up with
a properly functioning action instead of one that can't be regulated and/or
weighed off to any reasonable key touch.

Regards,

Del