Sizing

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 14:34 MDT 2001

On 9/7/01 10:36 AM, "Avery Todd" <atodd@UH.EDU> wrote:

> List,
>
> I'm sure most of you know about the flood and humidity problems
> here in Houston. Because of what I assume are humidity related
> problems, our newest 'D' (app. 3 yrs. old) is exhibiting some
> excess friction in some of the hammer flanges and may also be
> in the wippen flanges (I haven't checked that yet.)

These types of humidity problems may be exceptional in Houston, but they are
routine here in Kansas City. I have the "solution" for you: Protek.

This year in KC the weather has not been unusually severe, other than the
fact that the humidity has been up for months. The halls are measuring about
78% RH right now. This kind of humidity for months at a time will push some
flanges over the line, but I don't believe they are very far over that
"line".

The suggestion of using a Dampp-Chaser rod is probably good, given that I
think these flanges are just barely over the line.

Our #1 D had a bound up jack and a bound up underlever top flange two weeks
ago just as our Cliburn competition gold medalist was making his triumphant
return and giving his celebratory concerts. I hit the offending flanges with
Protek, worked the flanges a bit, and then they were fine. I have never had
a failure in years of doing this.

I would recommend against alcohol/water because of the possibility of
overdoing it and the fact that that takes some time to work. In my
experience Protek in a tight flange is not going to do any harm once the
humidity goes down; you will still have a very nice firm flange.

Kent Swafford