Sizing

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 8 12:03 MDT 2001

Hey Avery.
  I guess it depends on how tight everything is.  I think I'd be _careful_
since the system is newly back on again.  I use alcohol/water often,
sometimes adding a dryer if needed. You could use pure alcohol first with no
water or heat, I don't think that would overdo anything.  I usually size new
Renner parts with pure alcohol.  Then step up to a low % of water with low
heat.  I always used Methanol, but now since it's so toxic and hard to find,
I use Everclear (grain alcohol for getting drunk).  Everclear is a brand
name, it also comes in other names like "Diesel".  If it doesn't work you
can drink it. :) I would also leave a hygrometer in the hall overnight (on
the plate) that holds memory to see what's going on in there.  I carry the
one from Dampp-Chaser (Radio Shack has them, too, with Memory).  There are
articles in the Journal if you have the CD Rom, etc., too.  In this climate
that you and I share, I think alcohol is a MUST.  Good luck with it.

P.S.  The Protek helps, too, I agree.  I would also remove the keys, polish
and lube them (McLube 444), lube the whippen tops, teflon powder the
knuckles and get the bushings on the keys sized with a key bushing iron to
get everything back to where it should be.  The high humidity has changed
everything, I'm sure.  That alone will make it play better and won't take
long.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG