my mouth is still on the floor

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sun Sep 9 13:53 MDT 2001

Newton,
	I'd put it that friction _is_ a factor, but only the friction between
capstan and wipp heel (and, to a lesser degree, between knuckle and rep
lever). What you are doing is looking for convergence - the compromise
where there is least rubbing between arcs of different radii. The old
string from key bottom balance hole to wipp center method will tell you
that (for heel to capstan), but you need a fair number of parts out of
the way. So fudging back and forth and measuring up and down weight is a
practical and efficient way of finding the relatively optimal point in
certain circumstances. When you find the point where the spread is
least, you've found the point of least friction between capstan and
heel.
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico